Skip to main content

Growing Up!

Well, tomorrow begins a new school year for my family. This year marks the 9th year of operation at Ottawa County Christian Academy, the school Shauna & I helped found in 2004. Xoie, my oldest, enters the first grade and Jaxan, my middle child, enters kindergarten. I think I blinked... Wasn't Xoie just born yesterday? Last week, she lost her first top tooth while crunching an apple. She looks so different! -- in a way... so grown up. And Jaxan... he was just toddling around last week! What is happening to the time. I remember when I started first grade. Knowing how fast time escapes us, I am saddened to see my babies grow. And though it would be a nightmare to keep them at their current ages, I must cherish every moment I have with them at this age because tomorrow they graduate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the Case for "Assault"-Style Weapons: It's a Heart Issue

In the wake of the recent school shootings in America, many have asked, "Why do we need access to "assault"-style weaponry as private citizens?" So... here's my take on the Second Amendment. Not to be argumentative... just posing a logical explanation. Let's say our government does begin to radically infringe upon our rights. Let's say a dictatorship does arise. The sole intent of the Founding Fathers to arm its people was to protect against a rogue government.  "But they never envisioned the type of guns we have today." This is the argument of many, which in my estimation falls flat on its face. Though they're right and it's true, the Founders could never have imagined the realm of destruction and devastation our modern-day privately-owned weapons wield. But they also never envisioned a government that has the military weaponry ours does today either. Can you imagine a suppressed citizenry trying to defend with single-s...

Crossing the Line.... The Sin of Androgyny

  Puke, Vomit, Hurl. These are the best words I can bring up (pun intended) to describe my disgust for cultural androgyny – the societal blurring of the gender lines. We live in a culture where masculinity is criticized for its rough exterior and insensitivity, and feminism is elevated as the preferred trait among men. To succumb to this idea, it is now acceptable for parents buy their son girls’ jeans and allow him to grow his hair out long enough to make Rapunzel jealous. This same culture that belittles masculinity in men, promotes it for women. Our daughters are told that there are no barriers or rules for dress. Anything goes, even if that means looking the part of their male counterparts. Society warns that it would be an epic failure to ask individuals to don a gender-appropriate hairstyle or wear gender-appropriate attire because “you may damage their psyche” and you might “limit their opportunity to express individuality.” In the 1970s, Sandra Bem – the inventor of t...

My Dad wants to adopt more children?!

Did the title catch you off guard? At 55 years old, my earthly father isn't in that market... at least I don't think he is. But the Heavenly Father is looking for more children to bring into his family. Last year, I had the opportunity and privilege to write, direct and perform in a Christmas play entitled A Baseball Card Christmas . Some of you may remember it. The theme of the play was the gift of adoption through God's most precious gift -- His Son Jesus. It was a challenge from writing it to directing it, to performing it; but in the end, more than 160 attended and 3 raised their hand for salvation. A success if I do say so myself. Prompted by several to see it published, I found Performance Possibilities, a company started by my former college speech professor. She read it and accepted it for publication. Now, this weekend, the play will be performed by two more churches -- one in Florida and the other in a nearby Ohio town. I feel so honored that God has used th...