Skip to main content

All I want for Christmas is my...Tablets, iPods, WiiU's and PS3's?

 http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Spoiled_0bf75a_2152289.jpg

With just two and a half weeks until Christmas, children are informing me of what they will be receiving (or in some cases already have received) as gifts this year. Among the list: Playstaion 3's, iPod Touch's, Tablets, Nintendo WiiU's, Nintendo 3DS's - all single-item gifts ranging from $130-350. Some kids are getting more than one of these items and several are under 5 years old. I guess the economy is not so bad after all.

I have a real problem with spending that kind of money to buy my kids' happiness. And let's face it... That's what parents are trying to do. Parents are so afraid of disappointing their children that they are willing to dip into savings or debt to keep it from happening. What happened to being satisfied with a new toy car or a train set? What about hand-crafted gifts, which resonate more love? Kids these days (and yes I know I sound like a rambling old grandpa) have no appreciation for those thoughtful kinds of gifts. So we try to please them with getting them everything on their wish lists, which are, in my opinion, longer and more lucrative than ever.

Being in the ministry limits those types of purchases for my family (a benefit of the business), but even if I did make gads of money, I hope I would not be quick to buy these high-end gadgets for my kids. Really... does having your kids sit down before these mind-numbing devices benefit family bonding or just create more separation between you and them. Are you seeking to spend more time with your children or are you seeking an object that diverts their attention from you.I am willing to bet that the same kids who get these gifts now will be even harder to please in the future.

Last night, before I left for work, I made hand-written cards for each of my kids. I drew them silly pictures and wrote each one of them a special note telling them I loved them. I left and didn't say anything to anyone but Xoie. I told her that I left a note on her pillow. I didn't come home until after midnight, and as I was getting in bed, I saw a note on my pillow. Xoie had made her own card and did her best to draw me and her with the words, "I LOVE YOU, FROM XOIE." This morning, my wife told me they were all happy to get a note from Daddy, even Otto, our 2-year-old toddler.

These are the moments we should be trying to make at Christmas. My kids will remember them more clearly than the moments they open a toy or gadget (that will be outdated and broken in 2 years). I love my wife, my kids and my life. I wouldn't change anything about it. They make me happy. What more can I give to make them truly happy??? How about more love from me? All that costs is time and they are worth every minute.

Comments

  1. Time with our loved ones is the only thing that can not be replaced when one is gone. Very Wise Words from you today, Jeremy. Thanks for sharing. The sad thing is that each generation wants to give more to their children than they had, maybe it is time to think about giving more time to the next generation than we had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually reply to many posts, but I really loved this one. There were more reasons than lack of money why we never had any video games in our house. There will come a time when peer pressure will cause your children to think if it doesn't have a dollar sign attached to it, it's not worth anything. Keep doing what you are doing. Family time is not only bonding time, it is learning time - cooking, baking, canning, gardening, needlework, laundry - teaches essential life skills, math, and problem solving. Sure, you could do it all faster if the kids are safely tucked in front of the TV, but who really benefits from that in the long run? I thought I would have to wait until I was dead to hear from my daughter that all the hard work, extra chores, and being "forced" to do all kinds of work the other kids didn't have to do (because their moms did it all for them) was worth the effort. I was wrong. She comes to me for advice rather than listen to her peers. She has skills that the other girls her age don't even know exist. Her husband's friends think she is the "perfect" wife because she has all these skills and takes care of her husband when all of their wives or girlfriends are only interested in having a good time or partying. Sure, there were lots of complaints and arguments, but it was all worth it. Not a day goes by when she doesn't call or text me before going to sleep to tell me she loves me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making the Case for "Assault"-Style Weapons: It's a Heart Issue

In the wake of the recent school shootings in America, many have asked, "Why do we need access to "assault"-style weaponry as private citizens?" So... here's my take on the Second Amendment. Not to be argumentative... just posing a logical explanation. Let's say our government does begin to radically infringe upon our rights. Let's say a dictatorship does arise. The sole intent of the Founding Fathers to arm its people was to protect against a rogue government.  "But they never envisioned the type of guns we have today." This is the argument of many, which in my estimation falls flat on its face. Though they're right and it's true, the Founders could never have imagined the realm of destruction and devastation our modern-day privately-owned weapons wield. But they also never envisioned a government that has the military weaponry ours does today either. Can you imagine a suppressed citizenry trying to defend with single-s...

Crossing the Line.... The Sin of Androgyny

  Puke, Vomit, Hurl. These are the best words I can bring up (pun intended) to describe my disgust for cultural androgyny – the societal blurring of the gender lines. We live in a culture where masculinity is criticized for its rough exterior and insensitivity, and feminism is elevated as the preferred trait among men. To succumb to this idea, it is now acceptable for parents buy their son girls’ jeans and allow him to grow his hair out long enough to make Rapunzel jealous. This same culture that belittles masculinity in men, promotes it for women. Our daughters are told that there are no barriers or rules for dress. Anything goes, even if that means looking the part of their male counterparts. Society warns that it would be an epic failure to ask individuals to don a gender-appropriate hairstyle or wear gender-appropriate attire because “you may damage their psyche” and you might “limit their opportunity to express individuality.” In the 1970s, Sandra Bem – the inventor of t...

My Dad wants to adopt more children?!

Did the title catch you off guard? At 55 years old, my earthly father isn't in that market... at least I don't think he is. But the Heavenly Father is looking for more children to bring into his family. Last year, I had the opportunity and privilege to write, direct and perform in a Christmas play entitled A Baseball Card Christmas . Some of you may remember it. The theme of the play was the gift of adoption through God's most precious gift -- His Son Jesus. It was a challenge from writing it to directing it, to performing it; but in the end, more than 160 attended and 3 raised their hand for salvation. A success if I do say so myself. Prompted by several to see it published, I found Performance Possibilities, a company started by my former college speech professor. She read it and accepted it for publication. Now, this weekend, the play will be performed by two more churches -- one in Florida and the other in a nearby Ohio town. I feel so honored that God has used th...