Skip to main content

Teenage Motivation



I had an interesting conversation some time ago with a student of mine. He was only thirteen, but already talking about driving.

I remember doing the same when I was that age. I couldn't wait to get my license and my own set of wheels. That all meant independence (to a certain degree). But this student, without even realizing what he was saying, said something that really summed up the problem with our economic problems as a society today. He said, "I'm probably gonna wait until I turn eighteen to get my license. The driver's class costs too much." 

I just stared at him in a stupefied state. Did he really just say that? Once I gathered enough of my mind that was just blown to pieces, I replied with as much common sense as could be pushed on an early teen. Here's how I put it.

Me: "So, how much does the class cost nowadays?"

Student: "Like $400."

Me (doubting his answer): "Okay, let's say your right. It costs $400 today to take a driver's ed class. Now, let's say you save enough between now and the time you turn 15 1/2, when you can obtain a learner's permit, to be able to pay for the class."

Student: "Okay?"

Me (working the numbers on the chalkboard): "So you take the class and you get your license as soon as you turn 16. Immediately you find a job where you'll likely make about $10/hr because that's where minimum wage will be by then. If you work 20/week after school hours, you will have earned $200/week. That means your class will be paid for in two weeks. In a month, you'd have $800. A year: $9,600. So, in the two years you wait to get your license to avoid paying $400 on the class, you would have missed out on $19,200!"

Student: "Whoa!"

That was the where I stopped the conversation. I left the numbers on the board for him to contemplate. I hope I made him think. I hope he could see that taking initiative and being proactive always results in more success.

I don't understand the mentality of today's youth. Today, kids are all about waiting around and letting convenience fall into their lap. They resort to: "I'll just live at home and suck off mom and dad a little longer until something good opens up for me." This is one big problem with the recent Obamacare mandate that allows children to stay on their parents plan until 26 years old. There is no hurry to establish one's self; no desire to become independent. Instead of taking initiative and becoming a willing participant in our work force (resulting in a stronger economy), kids nowadays just want to chill in Dad and Mom's basement with their Call of Duty buddies. They stay there sucking Dad and Mom's electric, drinking the Mountain Dew Dad and Mom supply, while waiting for some grand job to fall into their laps. And while they wait, our economy struggles on.

My generation was not perfect, and I know that it pales in comparison to the drive of former generations in America, but at least we were motivated to take some initiative to be successful. What I hope is that today's generation will wake up, get out of their basement mentality and find the drive to succeed. What America needs most (besides another spiritual Great Awakening) is an attitude adjustment.

I guess the underlying problem really lies with the parents, for they are the ones who allow for this attitude to exist. Maybe what parents should do is show a little tough love and kick them out at 18. If the fledglings know they will be forced out of the nest at 18... perhaps they'll take the initiative to learn how to fly (or drive) before they come to that point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crossing the Line.... The Sin of Androgyny

  Puke, Vomit, Hurl. These are the best words I can bring up (pun intended) to describe my disgust for cultural androgyny – the societal blurring of the gender lines. We live in a culture where masculinity is criticized for its rough exterior and insensitivity, and feminism is elevated as the preferred trait among men. To succumb to this idea, it is now acceptable for parents buy their son girls’ jeans and allow him to grow his hair out long enough to make Rapunzel jealous. This same culture that belittles masculinity in men, promotes it for women. Our daughters are told that there are no barriers or rules for dress. Anything goes, even if that means looking the part of their male counterparts. Society warns that it would be an epic failure to ask individuals to don a gender-appropriate hairstyle or wear gender-appropriate attire because “you may damage their psyche” and you might “limit their opportunity to express individuality.” In the 1970s, Sandra Bem – the inventor of t...

Making the Case for "Assault"-Style Weapons: It's a Heart Issue

In the wake of the recent school shootings in America, many have asked, "Why do we need access to "assault"-style weaponry as private citizens?" So... here's my take on the Second Amendment. Not to be argumentative... just posing a logical explanation. Let's say our government does begin to radically infringe upon our rights. Let's say a dictatorship does arise. The sole intent of the Founding Fathers to arm its people was to protect against a rogue government.  "But they never envisioned the type of guns we have today." This is the argument of many, which in my estimation falls flat on its face. Though they're right and it's true, the Founders could never have imagined the realm of destruction and devastation our modern-day privately-owned weapons wield. But they also never envisioned a government that has the military weaponry ours does today either. Can you imagine a suppressed citizenry trying to defend with single-s...

My Dad wants to adopt more children?!

Did the title catch you off guard? At 55 years old, my earthly father isn't in that market... at least I don't think he is. But the Heavenly Father is looking for more children to bring into his family. Last year, I had the opportunity and privilege to write, direct and perform in a Christmas play entitled A Baseball Card Christmas . Some of you may remember it. The theme of the play was the gift of adoption through God's most precious gift -- His Son Jesus. It was a challenge from writing it to directing it, to performing it; but in the end, more than 160 attended and 3 raised their hand for salvation. A success if I do say so myself. Prompted by several to see it published, I found Performance Possibilities, a company started by my former college speech professor. She read it and accepted it for publication. Now, this weekend, the play will be performed by two more churches -- one in Florida and the other in a nearby Ohio town. I feel so honored that God has used th...