Skip to main content

Make Up Your Own Mind...







http://floppingaces.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/media-bias.jpg

I just couldn't help myself. After last night's debate, I flipped through the different news channels to hear analysis and commentary. WOW! We are in serious trouble in our country. It is no wonder why we are so uniformed -or shall I say misinformed- about the issues in this country. The liberal stations picked Obama as winner before the debate began and FoxNews, the lone conservative station, touted Romney the winner. MSNBC, one the most liberal stations, outright told their viewers that Obama won "handily." Really??? Were they watching the same debate that I watched? I came away from the debate thinking neither candidate won. To me they both seemed like angry men trying to prove something of which they had little or no knowledge.

I have a grand idea. Let's televise the debates but restrict analysis and commentary. Let the viewer make up his own mind. The media is doing a great manipulation job. They are leading their viewers with opinions and non-factual information. To claim Obama or Romney won is not fact... It is OPINION. Maybe it is the trained journalist coming out in me. I was taught to never show bias, rather to disseminate the facts of the situation. When I write for a newspaper, I tell facts based on hard numbers or information obtained from quotations or official documents/transcripts. It doesn't matter how I personally feel toward the matter; the job is to present straight facts. This is not what today's media is doing. They are skewing the information to support their own opinions.

This, of course, applies to more than just the debates. It applies to all the current events and national issues that have deluged us as Americans. Why was it that when George W. Bush was in office, the media blamed him for everything from gas prices, to the war on terror, to the slumping economy to tax breaks and stimulus checks, but Obama gets a free pass on the same issues. We never hear the media slam Obama over the economy, the continued recession, unemployment, out-of-controlled spending and his failed foreign policy which just recently has shown incompetence and deception over the Benghazi terrorist attack. When Bush was President, he was criticized for unemployment numbers in the 5-6% range, but the media never pins the 7-8% numbers on Obama. In fact, they blame Bush for those as well.

This all goes to show that our media is biased. No question. Not opinion. FACT. America better wake up, turn off the TV and start researching the issues for themselves and drawing accurate conclusions from it. If not, America is a fast-sinking ship, and we perish with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making the Case for "Assault"-Style Weapons: It's a Heart Issue

In the wake of the recent school shootings in America, many have asked, "Why do we need access to "assault"-style weaponry as private citizens?" So... here's my take on the Second Amendment. Not to be argumentative... just posing a logical explanation. Let's say our government does begin to radically infringe upon our rights. Let's say a dictatorship does arise. The sole intent of the Founding Fathers to arm its people was to protect against a rogue government.  "But they never envisioned the type of guns we have today." This is the argument of many, which in my estimation falls flat on its face. Though they're right and it's true, the Founders could never have imagined the realm of destruction and devastation our modern-day privately-owned weapons wield. But they also never envisioned a government that has the military weaponry ours does today either. Can you imagine a suppressed citizenry trying to defend with single-s...

Crossing the Line.... The Sin of Androgyny

  Puke, Vomit, Hurl. These are the best words I can bring up (pun intended) to describe my disgust for cultural androgyny – the societal blurring of the gender lines. We live in a culture where masculinity is criticized for its rough exterior and insensitivity, and feminism is elevated as the preferred trait among men. To succumb to this idea, it is now acceptable for parents buy their son girls’ jeans and allow him to grow his hair out long enough to make Rapunzel jealous. This same culture that belittles masculinity in men, promotes it for women. Our daughters are told that there are no barriers or rules for dress. Anything goes, even if that means looking the part of their male counterparts. Society warns that it would be an epic failure to ask individuals to don a gender-appropriate hairstyle or wear gender-appropriate attire because “you may damage their psyche” and you might “limit their opportunity to express individuality.” In the 1970s, Sandra Bem – the inventor of t...

My Dad wants to adopt more children?!

Did the title catch you off guard? At 55 years old, my earthly father isn't in that market... at least I don't think he is. But the Heavenly Father is looking for more children to bring into his family. Last year, I had the opportunity and privilege to write, direct and perform in a Christmas play entitled A Baseball Card Christmas . Some of you may remember it. The theme of the play was the gift of adoption through God's most precious gift -- His Son Jesus. It was a challenge from writing it to directing it, to performing it; but in the end, more than 160 attended and 3 raised their hand for salvation. A success if I do say so myself. Prompted by several to see it published, I found Performance Possibilities, a company started by my former college speech professor. She read it and accepted it for publication. Now, this weekend, the play will be performed by two more churches -- one in Florida and the other in a nearby Ohio town. I feel so honored that God has used th...